A leader in innovative family violence services
Rose Brooks Center is proud to have been recognized both nationally and locally for the quality of our work and the accomplishments of our executives. Here is an abridged list of our most distinguished achievements.
- Rose Brooks Center was recognized in May 2013 as a model program by the Office on Violence Against Women for our partnership in the Safety First Initiative to develop a training integrating principles of universal design for accessibility and trauma informed care.
- Rose Brooks Center was honored by Futures Without Violence, at the National Conference on Health and Domestic Violence in March of 2012 for Outstanding Leadership in Violence Prevention.
- Five members of the Rose Brooks Center staff were selected to present at the 2012 World Conference of Women’s Shelters in Washington DC.
- Susan Miller, CEO, and Lisa Fleming, COO, were chosen as keynote speakers in 2009, for the 15th anniversary of the Violence Against Women Act by the Office on Violence Against Women.
- The Paws Place Pet Shelter was featured on CBS Good Morning as an innovation that gives women fleeing violent homes the ability to keep their pets safe and sheltered.
- Rose Brooks Center’s Transitional Housing Program received the Best Practices Award and Best Among Peers Award from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development in June 2009, increasing our chances of continued federal funding for this program.
- Rose Brooks Center was selected by the National Network to End Domestic Violence and the Allstate Foundation to be a national test site for the Economic Empowerment Moving Ahead through Financial Management curriculum as evaluated by Rutgers University.
- CEO Susan Miller was selected as one of KC Business Magazine’s 2011 Most Influential Women.
- Rose Brooks Center received the 2013 Community Service Award from the Saint Luke's Health System Forensic Care Program.
- Rose Brooks Center’s signature event, Cabaret, was recognized by The Independent magazine as the third most profitable event in Kansas City in 2010.
- Rose Brooks Center was awarded the 2010 Excellence in Nonprofit Leadership Award by Support KC.
- Rose Brooks Center was named “Best of the Best” Philanthropic Organization by KC Magazine.
- Joan Dougherty, Rose Brooks Center’s Manager of Volunteers and Community Support, was a recipient of the 2008 Local Hero Award through the Neighborhood Excellence Initiative sponsored by Bank of America.
- Rose Brooks Center was one of eight recipients in September 2008 of the Kauffman Legacy Fund awards, which went to “some of Kansas City’s most treasured institutions.”
- "Best Non-Profit Website Award" in 2008 and 2012 with our online marketing partner GreenTie.com